Friday 9 August 2013

Follow Friday: Deadbeat Edition

Man, I stink at this whole "check out my new on-going comic series" bit. Will I ever get my writing-schtick together? That's the real entertainment on this blog.

Regardless, I came across a fantastic comic earlier this week when I was supposed to be working: Oyster War by Ben Towle. Originally, I had found it as part of the syndicated GoComics line-up, but tracked it to its home site where the story was much more advanced.

Oyster War is the tale of an iron steamship captained by Commander Davidson Bulloch, formerly of the Confederate Navy, struggling against oyster pirates (!) in the early days of the United States. Bulloch, a staunch no-nonsense soldier, leads a motley crew whose superstitions and folklore do little to warn him against what may very well be a supernatural villain.

The designs of the characters, ships, and port are hypnotic. Towle's pacing in his artwork has its highs and lows, but the pacing in his story is sublime; I ate up chapter after chapter of it and now I have to wait for more. Sadface.

I also read through Monster Isle by Joey Weiser. Adorable earth-shaking fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment